About 20 years ago, a Bay Area rapper asked on one of his group's hit singles, "If you're really dope, why ain't you signed yet?" Within a decade, though, that group was releasing new music on its own label. In an open music industry, that whole concept of "getting signed" is no longer a measure of success. In fact, it's largely irrelevant. An open music industry enables talented and hard-working artists and collectives of artists to succeed on their own terms, without the need of a major label.
Take a look at who's #1 on iTunes this week. Why ain't they signed yet? Because nobody needs gatekeepers when there are no more gates…
Playlist for Dave's Lounge #252:
- Pillowfight, "Used To Think" Buy from: iTunes
- Four Eyes, "Under the Heavens" Buy from: Bandcamp
- Liberty Klaud, "Her Smiling Eyes" Buy from: Beatport
- Calima Shatiday, "Were We Really There" Buy from: iTunes
- Sleepthief, "Another Day" Buy from: SleepthiefMusic.com
- Van, "Minute of Nostalgia" Buy from: iTunes
- The Gulf Stream, "Antares" Buy from: Bandcamp
- Fanesha Fabre and Chikara Aoshima, "Take Your Time" Share on: SoundCloud
- Dam Mantle, "Blueberry" Buy from: iTunes
- Mister Lies, "Hounded" Buy from: iTunes
- Quadraphonic Sound Project, "Chasing Ghosts" Free download from: SoundCloud
- Akshin Alizadeh, "The Shine Box" Buy from: iTunes
Get more music and better audio quality from the Dave's Lounge Premium Podcast, a 256 Kbps version of the show that features additional music not available on the regular show. You can subscribe to the Dave's Lounge Premium Podcast for only $12/year. Try it free for 7 days!
The Dave's Lounge app gives you to streaming access all the latest episodes of Dave's Lounge, plus bonus mixes not available in the podcast, for only $1.99. The Dave's Lounge iPhone app is now available from the iTunes app store. The Dave's Lounge Android App is now available from the Amazon App Store.
Enjoy the show!
Taliferro Music thanks you for supporting Calima Shatiday. Keep up the good work.
Pingback: Does Streaming Really Shake Up Music Industry Royalty Model?